Police terminologies and their meanings
The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is the principal law enforcement and the lead security agency in Nigeria with about 371,800 staff. The agency is currently headed by IGP Adamu Muhammed.
The agency is designated by the 1999 constitution as the national police of Nigeria with exclusive jurisdiction throughout the country. However, Constitutional provision also exists for the establishment of separate NPF branches forming part of the armed forces of the Federation.
In this article, I would be breaking down most and common terms you tend to come across and also shed little light on their meaning. It is glaring truth that some people know little or nothing about Nigeria police force and it’s terminologies.
Below are some police terminologies and their meaning:
1. NIGPOL= NIGERIA POLICE.
2. DPO= DIVISIONAL POLICE OFFICER.
3. CSP A = CHIEF SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE, ADMINISTRATION.
4. O/C = OFFICER in CHARGE.
5. SARS= SPECIAL ANTI ROBERY SQUAD.
6. CTU = COUNTER TERRORIST UNIT.
7. SPU = SPECIAL PROTECTION UNIT.
8. IPO = INVESTIGATIVE POLICE OFFICER.
9. FMO = FORCE MARINE OFFICER.
10. D/O = DISTRICT OFFICER.
11. SMO = STATE MARINE OFFICER.
12. SF = SPECIAL FORCES.
13. FPRO = FORCE PRO.
14. ACO = AREA CRIME OFFICER.
15. SW = SEARCH WARRANT.
16. SIB = STATE INTELLIGENCE BUREAU.
17. FIB = FORCE INTELLIGENCE BUREAU.
18. ZIB = ZONE INTELLIGENCE BUREAU.
19. DTO= DATE TIME ORIGINATED.
20. FHQ= FORCE HEADQUARTERS.
21. PSC= POLICE STAFF COLLEGE.
22. MNI= MEMBER OF NATIONAL INSTITUTE.
23. FDC=FEDERAL DEFENSE COLLEGE.
24. STO= STATE TRAFFIC OFFICER.
25. ATO = AREA TRAFFIC OFFICER.
26. MTD= MOTOR TRAFFIC DIVISION.
27. STD = STATE TRAFFIC DIVISION