Does your skin react violently to regular soaps or cleansers? Do you experience allergic reactions like redness, inflammation or tightness immediately after using a face wash? Well, you have to deal with sensitive skin which needs special care and attention. So, it’s time to say goodbye to harsh soaps and instead, switch to these gentle face washes for sensitive skin!
These mild cleansers contain soothing products that calm down your skin while removing dirt and impurities at the same time. After one or two uses, you can notice a visible difference in the way your skin responds to these products.
How to Choose a Best Cleanser for Sensitive Skin?
Any facewash is designed to perform one major task – clean your skin and remove dirt, dead cells and sebum accumulated in the pores. However, most drugstore face washes are formulated with harsh ingredients that strip away the natural moisture and oils from your skin and leave it irritated. This is where a face wash designed for sensitive skin can make a clear difference.
So, how do you know that a face wash can handle skin sensitivity? Here are some tips for you:
- The label must clearly specific the term “For Sensitive Skin.”
- Also, choose products that mention the terms “hypoallergic” (doesn’t cause allergies), “non-comedogenic” (doesn’t block pores), “fragrance-free”, “soap-free”, “alcohol-free” etc.
- Read the ingredient list to ensure that the harsh ingredients like sulfates, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, parabens etc. are not present.
- Look out for natural skin-soothing ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, calendula, shea butter etc. which are mild and gentle.
12 Best Face Washes for Sensitive Skin in India, 2020:
Let us now explore some of the popular and best-rated face washes for sensitive skin:
1. NIVEA Milk Delights Face Wash with Rose for Sensitive Skin:
When it comes to offering quality skincare products, Nivea never disappoints its customers. It has launched a series of face washes under the collection “Milk Delights”. This product is specially formulated to sensitive skin and is enriched with the goodness of milk and rose. Along with gentle cleansing, the face wash also leaves a healthy glow on your skin.
Key Ingredients: Rose Water And Milk
- Contains no harmful chemicals
- Very gentle on sensitive skin
- Doesn’t cause irritation or redness
- Cleanses well without drying out skin
- Softens skin and leaves a nice glow
- Travel-friendly packaging in different sizes
- Some people might find the scent overpowering.
2. Kaya Clinic Face Cleanser for Sensitive Skin:
Kaya Clinic Sensitive skin facial cleanser is a mild and gentle product for everyday cleansing. It is a unique fragrance-free, soap-free formula that causes no allergic reactions like burning or itching. Unlike regular soaps, it doesn’t dry out your skin or leave it feeling tight or stretchy. With regular use, you can notice a radiant and healthy complexion on your skin.
Key Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol etc.
- Impressive Packaging
- Doesn’t have any scent or strong smell
- Contains no soap or detergents
- Cleans skin without irritating it
- Doesn’t dry out the skin
- Good for everyday use
- Contains alcohol
- Expensive Product
3. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:
Cetaphil is a trusted brand renowned for making gentle and effective skincare products. This mild skin cleanser is designed for a daily care of sensitive facial and body skin. The pH-balanced, fragrance-free formula doesn’t irritate the skin or cause any allergic reactions like redness or inflammation. It is also a non-comedogenic product that doesn’t block pores and can be used with or without water (use a wet wipe to clean).
Key Ingredients: Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Butyl Paraben
- Doesn’t dry out the skin
- Can be used on the body as well
- Convenient packaging with a pump dispenser
- Fragrance-free formula
- Can be used a face wash and makeup remover
- Needs no water for removing the product
- Contains alcohol and parabens
- The texture is more on a creamy side and doesn’t lather much.
- Pricey product
4. Kama Ayurveda Sensitive Skin Cleansing Foam:
If you are looking for natural, chemical-free products, go for Kama Ayurveda! This brand blends the knowledge of traditional Ayurveda with modern science to offer amazing skincare products. Here is a foam cleanser specially formulated for sensitive skin which is enriched with sandalwood and aloe vera. Along with removing impurities, the cleanser heals irritated skin and leaves a fresh feeling.
Key Ingredients: Sandalwood, Aloe Vera and Calendula
- Gentle foam that effectively cleanses the skin
- Removes dirt and oil
- Doesn’t dry out the skin
- Nice sandalwood scent
- Has a calming effect on the skin
- You will not experience any tightness or stretchy feeling after using it.
- Quantity is too little for the price.
5. O3+ Lightening & Calming Facewash for Sensitive Skin:
Here is a light and gentle foaming face wash for sensitive skin from O3+ brand. It is specially meant for reducing uneven complexion on the skin by removing peripheral suntan, impurities and dirt accumulated from the pores. The mild formula doesn’t cause any inflammation, redness, irritation or dryness and instead, has a calming effect. It is developed and approved by dermatologists.
Key Ingredients: Aqua, Glycerine, Aloe vera extract, Chamomile extract, Liquorice extract, Lemon Peel extract, Orange peel extract, SLS, Perfume etc.
- Deep cleans skin effectively.
- Contains natural extracts
- Mild foam that doesn’t dry out the skin
- Leave a healthy glow on the skin.
- Skin looks visibly brighter.
- Contains SLS and Perfume
- Expensive compared to other drugstore face wash brands
6. Neutrogena Extra Gentle Facial Cleanser:
If you have extremely dry and sensitive skin, this extra-gentle face wash from Neutrogena is worth a try! It is a fragrance-free formula that is creamy for extra hydration. You can also use it as a cleanser and wipe it off with a tissue. Other benefits of this product are that it is soap-free, hypoallergenic, and dermatologist tested.
Key Ingredients: Aqua, Caprylic Triglyceride, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Tea-Cocoyl Glutamate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol etc.
- Rich, Creamy texture
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Soothes very dry and irritated skin
- No need to use moisturizer for normal skins
- Doesn’t cause any allergic reactions
- No scent
- Doesn’t lather much
7. Cheryl’s Cosmeceuticals Sensiwash Face Wash:
Here is a unique face wash for oily and sensitive skin from Cheryl’s Cosmeceuticals. It is enriched with special ingredients like Niacinamide, Bisabolol and Portuluca extracts that can effectively control excess oil levels on the skin. The anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties of this formula sloughs off dirt and dead cells from your skin without causing any allergic reactions.
Key Ingredients: Bisabolol, Portulaca Extract, Niacinamide, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Phragmites Kharka, Poria Cocos
- Light, foamy product
- Controls oil without drying out skin
- Leaves a fresh feel
- Doesn’t cause any rashes or redness
- Suitable for acne-prone skin as well
- Mild scent
- Not available in all physical stores
8. WOW Skin Science Aloe Vera Hydrating Face Wash:
This bright green colored face wash comes from the reputed skincare brand WoW Skin Science. It is a gentle face wash that is formulated with three key ingredients – Aloe vera leaf juice, Hyaluronic acid and Pro-Vitamin B5. It is contains no parabens, color or silicones that damage your skin. This face wash can be beneficial for people with sensitive skin as it reduces irritation, redness, inflammation and dryness.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera lead juice, Pro-Vitamin B5 and Hyaluronic acid
- Suitable for everyday, gentle cleansing
- Makes your skin look fresh
- Lathers well
- Contains no harmful silicones, parabens etc.
- Offers deep cleaning benefits
- Reasonable pricing
- May not suit very dry skin.
9. Plum Hello Aloe Skin Loving Face Wash:
Another mild face wash for sensitive skin comes from the brand -Plum. The Hello Aloe skin-loving face wash does exactly what it claims. It contains Aloe as the key ingredient, which is a natural moisturizer and a mild facial cleanser. Apart from a few other gentle agents, there are no harmful chemicals in the product, which makes it suitable for people with highly reactive skin. The product is cruelty-free and comes in a 100% recycled packaging.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera leaf juice, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine etc.
- Suitable for dry and very dry skins also.
- Cleanses well without causing any allergic reactions
- Leaves no tightness or stretchy feel
- Makes your face look fresh and clean
- Price is on a slightly higher side.
10. Aveeno Active Naturals Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser:
Aveeno is an international brand which is renowned for its premium quality skincare products and cleansers. This Ultra-calming foaming cleanser from Aveeno is one of the best-rated face washes for sensitive and dry skin. It is formulated with Calming Feverfew that can reduce redness and inflammation on the skin. You can use it every day as it is hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, soap-free and fragrance-free.
Key Ingredients: Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Sodium Cocoyl Amino Acids, Sarcosine, Potassium Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate, Sodium Hydroxide Etc.
- Superior quality product
- Reduces redness and irritation from the first wash itself
- Controls dryness
- Leaves a plumpy feel on the skin
- No harmful chemicals
- Soap-Free formula
- You need a lot of product for one wash.
- Expensive product
- May not suit oily skin.
11. SebaMed Clear Face Cleansing Foam:
The SebaMed Clear Face Cleansing Foam is specially designed for sensitive and oily, acne-prone skin. The unique formula is mild on the skin but tough on blackheads, pimples and germs. It contains montaline C40 and Panthenol, which instantly remove bacteria from skin and reduce inflammation. Additionally, Vitamin B5 repairs irritated skin and restores normalcy. It also balances skin pH to prevent bacteria from multiplying.
Key Ingredients: Aqua Cocamidopropyl betainamide MEA Chloride, Cocotrimonium Methosulfate, Sodium Lactate, Panthenol, Parfum, Phenoxyethanol Etc.
- Good for deep pore cleansing
- Controls greasiness on the skin
- Leave a matte finish.
- Visible difference in the reduction of acne
- Gives instant freshness
- No harsh chemicals
- May not suit dry skin.
12. Forest Essentials Kashmiri Saffron and Neem Delicate Facial Cleanser:
Forest Essentials is a luxe Ayurvedic brand that offers premium quality skincare products. This beautifully packaged Delicate Facial cleanser is designed specifically for sensitive skin. It contains Kashmiri Saffron and Neem as its two key ingredients, along with the steam distilled waters of five flowers to refresh your skin and leave a soothing effect. Apart from cleansing your skin, the product also controls oil and acne while minimizing enlarged pores.
Key Ingredients: Steam Distilled Rose Water, Steam Distilled Marigold Water, Steam Distilled Jasmine Water, Steam Distilled Kewada Water, Neem Infusion, Organic Honey, Nagkesar, Anantmool, Pure Saffron Extract, Kumud.
- Attractive packaging
- No harmful chemicals like SLS, Mineral Oil etc.
- Contains natural ayurvedic ingredients
- Handcrafted product
- Refreshes skin
- Doesn’t lather
- Not a travel-friendly bottle
- Needs a lot of product for one single-use
List of Ingredients to Avoid in Cleansers for Sensitive Skin:
Watch out for these names in the ingredient list of the product. Should you find them, avoid the product and choose a suitable one instead:
- Fragrance: Unless the soothing scent comes naturally from the ingredients, it is wise to go for a fragrance-free product. The added scent in cleansers can worsen the condition of your sensitive skin.
- Essential Oils: Although essential oils are beneficial to the skin, they can induce an allergic reaction in people with sensitive skin. Avoid products that have potent oils like tea-tree, citrus, lavender etc. as their key ingredients.
- Exfoliants: Does your cleanser say “exfoliating beads”? Then, you might to think twice about using that product because they tend to have an abrasive effect on skin. Always test the product on a small area of skin to see if you notice any reactions.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can dry and dehydrate your skin. This can ruin the state of your sensitive skin further and trigger a burning or stinging sensation.
- Sulfates: Sulfates are foaming agents which can irritate people with hypersensitive skin.
How to Use a Face Wash for Sensitive Skin?
Follow the steps for effective and gentle cleansing with your face wash:
- If you are trying out the product for the first time, always do a patch test. Continue only if you experience no allergic reactions.
- Wet your face with water and apply a small amount of the cleanser on your face. Avoid eyes, nose and lips.
- Now gently use your fingers to massage well. Do not use rough motions as doing so can ruin your skin.
- You can either rinse the product with water or take a soft tissue and wipe it off.
- Follow up with a gentle moisturizer or sunscreen.
Those are some of the best face washes for sensitive skin. Although there are many others which claim to be “suitable” for sensitive skin, they are regular cleansers which can aggravate your skin condition. So, please follow the points in the tips section to buy the right product for your skin type and say goodbye to irritation!
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. How often can I wash my face if I have sensitive skin?
Ans: It is recommended to use a mild, gentle cleanser to wash your face once or twice daily. Excessive washing of face can strip away the natural oils from your skin and make it increasingly dry. This can aggravate your sensitive skin problems even more.
2. Can face washes for sensitive skin be used by men also?
Ans: Ofcourse, yes! Most facial cleansers available in the market are designed for both men and women. Unless the target audience is specially mentioned, you can use the products. Follow the instructions on the label to get an effective cleansing experience.
Q3. How do I know that a particular product is suitable for my sensitive skin?
You can perform a patch test on a small area of your skin. Wait for 10-15 minutes and wash it off with water. If you do not experience any allergic reactions for the next 24 hours, including redness, inflammation, rashes, hives etc., then you can mark it safe for use.