The market is flooded with a variety of headbands and hairbands. It’s hard to resist the temptation to pick up these available in diverse designs. Thanks to designers, stylists, and movies, these head accessories are in vogue now. One can achieve a range of looks doing hairstyles using headbands and hairbands. From cute to dramatic, stylish to classy, it is just a matter of learning the hairstyle. This article shows you easy and unique hairstyles that make you look all that we mentioned above.
These hairstyles are suitable for all hair types and hair lengths. Whether you have short hair, medium length hair or long hair, you can choose based on what suits your hair length best. These headband and hairband hairstyles can be done for both curly as well as straight hair types.
Why wait?! Try them out the next time you step out.
Classy Hairstyles Using Headbands:
Here are the best hairstyles using headbands for all occasions. Nowadays these are the trendy and stylish hairstyles and also given different identity to the crowd.
1. Elegant up-do Using Headband
As the name suggests, this hairstyle imparts an elegant look to the wearer. That makes it suitable as both work wear and party wear hairstyle. Below are the steps to follow for this hair-do.
- Comb your hair backwards and make sure it is untangled.
- Take a center parting, up to 3 inches inwards from the hairline.
- Next, divide the front portion of the hair into two, one on either side of the parting.
- Leave these two front portions and tie the rest of the hair into a pony. Make sure the pony is tight enough to act as a base support for the hairstyle.
- Apply styling cream to the front portion of the hair that is left loose and comb it.
- Now, tie a thick and wide headband over the pony just the way you tie a rubber-band.
- Pull the pony hair over this headband and make a neat bun. Tie a rubber-band over it so that the hair doesn’t come out. Tuck the ends of the ponytail hair into the bun using u-pins or any other suitable pins.
- Now comb the two front portions of the hair together so that the center parting is no longer seen.
- Comb the hair back and twist the hair around the existing bun and secure the ends with pins.
- Make sure that the front hair is not tied too tightly. Give it a wavy and fluffy feel to achieve an elegant look.
Its that simple to look classy! Pair this with an elegant chiffon or georgette flowing gown to enhance its beauty. This suits both young ladies and older women with oval faces. If you have wavy hair, you have an added advantage. Since it’s a great as both office and party haitsrtyle, you can try this throughout the year. To get an evening party look with this hairstyle, simply add some hair accessories to the up-do. You are all set!
2. Twisted Bun Hairstyle:
Are you in a rush and yet want to do a special hairstyle? Try this one. This hairstyle done with a wire headband can be done in 2 minutes flat!
- Comb your hair back and wrap the wire headband to your hair at the nape of your neck.
- Pull either end of the headband to form a straight line after trying the hair in it.
- Roll the hair upwards using the headband. This can be done by holding either side of the headband in one hand each and rolling it up.
- Once all the hair is rolled-up until neck, form a circle and tie either ends of the headband. This forms a low bun.
- If necessary, use pins to keep the hairstyle in place.
Now you are all set to step out in style. If you have time, adorn your mane with flower crown headband for a boho headband hairstyle. You could also you a stretchy headband. This hairstyle suits young women in 30s and 40s with round face and wavy or straight hair. It goes well with wide neck, boat neck and off-shoulder style gowns. Summer is a good time to pait these gowns with this hairstyle.
3. Cute Hair up-do:
If you like plaits and want that messy look, we suggest this hairstyle. You can add a cloth headband to this hairstyle for a cute look. This hairstyle is suitable for both medium and long length hair.
- Start by combing your hair well and picking the center top portion on the front.
- Back-comb the divided portion of the hair to give it a fluffy look. Use a puffer under this hair to achieve the desired look and tie it into a ponytail.
- Now, pick the front hair that is on the left of this ponytail to make a plait. The plait should start from the front at the hairline and go all the way back. You can try out different plait styles here.
- Repeat the same for the front right portion of the hair.
- Tie the left and right braids and the loose hair at the center into a ponytail. Leave a few loose hair strands on the front to fall beautifully on the face.
- Make a bun leaving the ends of the hair loose for a messy look.
- Tie a cloth headband around the bun this for a cute look.
This hairstyle is great for teenagers and college goers, as a prom hairstyle. It suits all face shapes. It literally suits all hair types due to its care-free look. Pair it up with a casual floral printed gown for a perfect look in any season. You can use a fancy headband if you plan this style for a party.
4. Elegant Bun with Chignon and Pearl String:
Do you love Audrey Hepburn’s look in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, the famous black dress with pearls and a bun? This one is for you then. It whispers elegance and class, perfect for a cocktail party or an evening date.
- Comb the hair well and divide it vertically into parts, making a high ponytail of the center portion.
- Use a puffer under the ponytail hair, spread the hair over it and tie another rubber band at the bottom side of the puffer. The hair that remains after tying forms a ponytail again.
- Take the hair from one side and also the center ponytail. Bring them over the bun and turn under the bun. Secure it with pins.
- Next, take hair from the other side and pull it underneath the bun first and then over it. Secure the loose strands with pins.
- The hairstyle is now done! Wrap a pearl strand around the bun for a touch of elegance.
This hairstyle has a timeless appeal. Women of all ages can carry it off with elan. Smooth and straight hair brings the best of this hairstyle. If you don’t have a naturally straight hair, use a hair straightener first and then try out this hairstyle. Remember that to retain the classy look, pick an outfit in solid colours, especially darker colours. A multi-colour outfit will rob the classy appeal that this hair-do imparts. And what better time than Christams or Thanks Giving dinners to try this hairstyle.
5. Easy and Neat Hair Bun:
This simple hairstyle is great for people with less hair volume. This is a quick-to-do style, and all it needs is a readymade bun and some pins. And not just that, this headband tuck hairstyle is suitable for all hair lengths and all hair types too. Let us learn how to do it now.
- Comb your hair neatly and tie a high-ponytail.
- Use the readymade bun-type band and pull the ponytail hair through the hole at the center of the band.
- Move the bun-band all the way up to the ponytail by twisting the hair pulled into it.
- Now, spread the hair twisted around the bun uniformly so that the entire bun is covered with your hair.
- Secure the hair and the bun-band using u-pins or any other suitable pins.
You are ready to go now! It’s neat and goes together well with both pants and well-fitted gowns.Which means this is a day wear or work wear hairstyle. Women in 30s and 40s, with smooth and straight hair look best in this hairstyle. If you want to tie-up the hair in a simmering summer heat and still look stylish, this one is for you.
6. Backstage Pony:
For all the school and college-goers out there, this is a hassle-free and fun hairstyle. It can be done in a jiffy if you have a few hairbands. It looks great with long hair but can be done for medium length hair as well. Here we go.
- Begin by combing your hair and pulling it high, almost at the top center of your head.
- Use a band and tie a high ponytail.
- Comb the ponytail neatly and start tying hairbands to the ponytail leaving approximately 2 inches between two hairbands. That is, tie the second band 2 inches below the ponytail hairband and the next one 2 inches below the second and so on.
- Repeat this until you are left with the last 2 inches of your hair.
This hairstyle is very similar to pigtails. If you are in your teens or early 20s withan oval or square face, this can be your daily go-to hairstyle. Unless your hair is too curly to tame, you can pull it off with least effort. You can use a turban headband with this hairstyle to add some spunk. Opt for sports dresses to make a perfect match with this hairstyle.
Different Hairstyles with Headbands:
Here go the hairstyles with headbands.
1. Retro Hairstyle:
You have a retro theme party and are all dress-up for it. But you have no idea how to style your hair for the retro-look and need to rush for the party. Then this hairstyle will be your savior, giving you a retro look in less than a minute!
- Firstly, comb your hair neatly. You could either take a side partition or comb the hair back.
- Get your wire headband out and simply put it around your head to form a bow for a retro look. The wire wrapped in the cloth headband lets you twist the band in the shapes and angles you like.
- You could have the bow towards one side of the head instead of center. Placing the bow at the top center might make you look like a kid and not the retro look you wanted.
- We’re done!
It is that simple! We promised you it wouldn’t take more than a minute. If you have a round face, you will love the look this hairstyle gives you. It looks great with all hair types – curly, wavy and straight. Pair it with a polka-dot dress or gown before you head-out for a Friday night party! Young girls can choose bow hairbands or any other cute ones whereas women in 30s and 40s can opt for a more sober bands.
2. Colourful Thin Headband Braid:
Are you in a mood to let your hair loose? This one does just that, and by adding some colour by the way. Let us look at how to do it.
- Start by combing a large portion of your hair onto one side of the face. Like the way, we do for a side parting, but the parting should not be visible here.
- At the parting, pull out a very thin portion of the hair, a bunch of hair strands and backcomb them.
- Pick any ribbon or thin cloth strip in the colour of your choice. Just make sure that the ribbon or cloth strip is almost as long as your hair. This lets your braid it with the hair till the hair-ends.
- Next, divide the pulled-out hair into two parts and join the ribbon or cloth strip as the third part to make a braid.
- Using the 3 parts, make a braid and work it till the ends of the hair. Secure it by knotting the ribbon around it or use a hairband that gets camouflaged in your hair colour or ribbon colour.
- You have a stylish and colourful tiny braid now!
People with wavy and curly hair types can try out this hairstyle. If you have an oval face, this style frames your face beautifully. And believe us, this one suits women of all ages, from toddlers to women in their 50s. Pair if with colourful gowns or denims for a day picnic or a date with your girl friends. You can use different coloured cloth strips and ribbons to match your outfits everytime you do this hairstyle.
3. Bun Hairstyle with Fringe:
This is yet another retro hairstyle. The fringe at the front gives this hairstyle an old world look. Pair it with dresses of the 50s, 60s and 70s decades and rock the look. Follow the below steps in detail to get this hairstyle right.
- Comb your hair well and remove any tangles. You could apply a hair cream to get a smooth and shiny look to the hair.
- Divide the front portion of the hair, just enough to make a fringe. Comb the rest of the hair back making a high ponytail.
- Now, take the front portion of the hair that was divided in the earlier step and using a curling iron, roll the hair completely around the iron.
- Slowly pull out the hair iron from the hair. This makes a fringe at the front.
- Next, make a bun of the ponytail hair and secure it tightly with pins.
- The bun hairstyle with fringe is now done.
You could accessorize the hair with a variety of headbands or with some flower pins. This hairstyle typically sits well for straight hair. It is difficult to achieve the same look for curly and wavy hair types. It suits all face shapes though. Women in their 30s and 40s can try hairstyle for a retro-themed party with fit-and-flare gowns or bell-bottom pants. Young girls in 20s can pair it with glasses for a nerdy look.
4. Wedding Hairstyle with Flower Crown Headband:
If you are a bridesmaid or even a bride having a boho wedding, this hairstyle is for you. With the flower crown and hair tied into a unique bun style, you will be the cynosure of all eyes. Here is how to do it.
- You would need a flowers headband for this hairstyle. The flowers can be any size and any colour. Just pick the ones you love and what you think will go with the wedding theme and outfit.
- Comb the hair back gently and put the floral headband around your head. The hair at the back should be beneath the headband and not over it as we wear usually.
- Now, pick small portions of the hair at the back, one at a time and fold it around the headband completely. For this, each hair portion will form many loops around the headband.
- Repeat the above step until you are left with no more loose hair.
- You now have a unique bun at the back and beautiful flowers in the front looking like a crown.
This hairstyle goes well for informal weddings. The weddings hosted on beaches, on ships and other such informal venues. Imagine long white gowns for brides and pastel gowns for bridesmaids with flowers on their mane. It would make a beautiful sight. It suits all face types, hair types and young and old alike. And you don’t need a hairstylist to do this. You can do it yourself or ask your friends to help you. Who would not be eager to help a bride?
5. Korean Bridal Bun:
This beautiful hairstyle forms a half-bun and is perfect for brides, as the veil will sit perfectly on it. It is for the brides who want a formal and perfect look on their D-day.
- Comb your hair well, to begin with.
- Starting at the top, pull equal portions of hair from either side of the head and interlace them at the center.
- Repeat the above step for all the hair until the ears area., which is the front top portion.
- Tie the hair into a ponytail now.
- Next, tie the loose ends of the ponytail hair to form a loop.
- Roll the loop outwards until you reach the top of the head where the ponytail is tied.
- Secure this hair that was rolled over the ponytail area forming the shape of a half-bun.
- Pull the hair apart slowly and gently so that it is uniform throughout the bun.
- Accessorize with headbands of your choice.
This hairstyle suits oval and round faces. Having straight or wavy hair makes it easier to do this style. Go for this hairstyle when you are wearing an elegant and long gown. Whether you are 30 or 50, choose this for your special day if you want a style that will stay in place all day.
6. Backstage Plait:
This hairstyle is very similar to the backstage ponytail. The only difference is that we make a plait here. But unlike the ponytail hairstyle, this plait headband hairstyle suits everyone from toddlers to young women. It can create a carefree look and hence is apt for a workout hairstyle.
- Begin by combing your hair and pulling it high, almost at the top center of your head.
- Use a band and tie a high ponytail.
- Braid the hair of the ponytail until you are approximately 2 inches away from the hair ends.
This style suits all hair types and hair lengths. It suits women of ages until 40s. You can add a turban headband for a gym or yoga ready look. For a casual day out, wear a long multi-coloured gown and use a hippie headband or just some colourful hairbands. Come rain or shine, this is an ever-green hairstyle.
Tips for Getting The Perfect Look:
- Decide on the kind of look you want before choosing the outfit, hairstyle, and accessories. For example, funky look, boho look, elegant look, retro look. Once you zero-in on the look, pick the outfit, accessories, and hairstyle accordingly.
- Don’t go overboard with makeup when you do a dramatic hairstyle. Keep the makeup neutral to let your outfit and accessories stand-out.
- Top to toe matching is a no-no. Choose complementing accessories rather than matching ones.
You are all set to rock in unique hairstyles now. Whether it’s a bob hairstyle or a bridal hairstyle, you know how to keep the glam-quotient high. Try them out the next time you have a special occasion and share the compliments you receive with us. We would love to hear them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How to Choose The Right Hairstyle?
Consider your hair length, hair texture, and face shape while choosing a hairstyle. The occasion is the next factor in picking an apt hairstyle. It is always safe to try out the hairstyle a few times at home before you chose to do it for an important day.
2. Will The Hairstyle Stay for The Whole Day?
If you use pins to secure the hair well, it will stay until you pull them out. Also, using hair setting sprays and creams is a great option to keep your hair in place, especially if you have a long day ahead or have an outdoor party to attend.
3. Will Hairbands and Headbands Suit Me?
Yes, of course! There are hairbands and headbands available in the market to suit every age and every look. Choose the band that will suit your face, and that goes with your outfit. Remember, style is all about how confidently you carry yourself. So keep your confidence high, and slay the look.